Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

The Untouchables (1987)

American crime film. Great movie. And as I've only got some weaker Sean Connery movies for tomorrow, I think I can say that this one is the best one of his movies I've seen. I'd still say that his best performance was in The Hill. I mean his performance in this one is also very good, he won an Oscar for it after all. Great cast (Sean Connery, Robert de Niro, Kevin Costner and more), great story about Al Capone and the Prohibition. And this movie has one of the best homages to Battleship Potemkin in it. You know the one. Overall just a great movie that I would highly recommend, if not everyone had already watched it before me.

3 years ago

Togo - 8/10

3 years ago

It is very good. I was amazed that all the craziest parts, are inspired by real anecdotes by Togo. That dog was really something.

3 years ago

Togo is a hero if you ask me... Survived against all odds :)

3 years ago

Shadow (2018) by Zhang Yimou

Beautifull and entertaining.

3 years ago

Stan & Ollie (2018)

Also rewatched that one yesterday. Still very good with great performances.

3 years ago

The Offence (1973)

British crime neo noir drama film. Sadly not one of Sidney Lumet's better movies (of which there are a lot). But good performances, especially by Sean Connery. Interesting story. Good cinematography.

3 years ago

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)

American fantasy adventure film. But it's not really american. It's an irish story about irish folklore by a writer of irish descent with a cast almost completely full of irish actors if it weren't for some english, scottish or northern irish ones. What's american about it, is just that it was made by Disney. So yeah, because it's pretty much almost completely irish, some of these characters are not so easy to understand from time to time. Very good effects for the time. Good cast (Sean Connery, Estelle Winwood and more). Very entertaining story, all around a really good movie for kids and adults alike. Definitely recommended!

So here ends my week in honour of Sir Sean Connery. He definitely made lots of different, great movies. Very versatile actor. Shouldn't only be remembered as James Bond. If you are in the mood for one of his movies right now, just look through my last comments in this thread. The one I would just outright recommend right now is The Hill (1965), because it's one of the more underappreciated movies he's made. But they're all good.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

American Beauty - 8/10

3 years ago

Sword of Trust (2019)

American comedy film. Marc Maron was definitely the best thing about this movie. If you're a fan of his movies, shows and stand-ups you'll like his performance in this one, too. The rest wasn't very good, though. Can't recommend this one. The premise of the movie is very interesting, but it doesn't really fulfill its potential. So yeah, if you really like Marc Maron, you should maybe watch this. But keep your expectations low.

3 years ago

Freud (1962)

Yes, i'm in a weird epoque of my life :/

3 years ago

Rabid (1977)

Canadian body horror film. Very good story, good performances. Nice body horror, not as extreme as some of Cronenberg's other movies, but still definitely a Cronenberg. I feel like if anyone else would've made this movie it wouldn't be as good as it is. Definitely still creepy, even after all these years. And highly entertaining!

3 years ago

A Simple Plan - 7/10

3 years ago

GreyHound by Tom Hanks i enjoyed it even though not his best but still liked it myself

3 years ago

Pulp Fiction - 8/10

3 years ago

Hackers (1995)

American crime film. Absolutely what you'd expect from a '90s movie about hackers. This movie is more '90s than the '90s themselves. And I've lived through most of that decade. Good cast, lots of recognizable names. Interesting story, but you can also just watch it for its... not gonna say shock value, but something like this. It really shoves the '90s into your face. This movie is probably harder to watch if you weren't born in the '90s. If all this is totally alien for you, you'll probably hate the movie. It's so cheesy and so over-the-top, but so entertaining! And the soundtracks fits the movie very well. Suprisingly good (but similarly over-the-top) effects. All in all this movie is really enjoyable if you don't mind a lot of cheese and probably tons of inaccuracies. I feel like an actual hacker would hate this for being so inaccurate.

3 years ago

Maybe if you have not watch Sneakers (1992) still one of my favorite movies. Don't watch any trailers tho, it's from that era of trailers that show too many spoilers.

3 years ago

The premise sounds interesting, gotta put it on my list.

3 years ago

Catch-22 (1970)

American black comedy war film. Simple yet interesting premise. A man is trying desperately to be certified insane during World War II, so he can stop flying missions. Great cast. Alan Arkin, Art Garfunkel, Orson Welles, Martin Sheen, Jon Voight, Anthony Perkins, Jack Gilford, Bob Newhart and more. There's a very impressive scene early on with a whole squadron of bomber planes taking off in quick succession. There are lots of very funny gags and scenes but also tragic and surreal scenes in the movie. Definitely very underappreciated. And it feels so modern for a 50 year old movie. Definitely recommended!

3 years ago

The New Mutants - 6/10

3 years ago

Yeah movie seemed rushed, low budget and poorly produced. It's not like I was expecting to notice so many errors in the film when I started watching it.

3 years ago

Smooth Talk (1985)

American drama film. Early Laura Dern coming-of-age movie with some thriller elements. Very good performances by Laura Dern and the rest of the cast. Pretty good movie overall.

3 years ago

Targets (1968)

American crime thriller film. An elderly horror film star, while making a personal appearance at a drive-in theatre, confronts a psychotic Vietnam War veteran who has turned into a mass-murdering sniper. One of Boris Karloff's last movies. And who better to play the role of an elderly horror film star than an elderly horror film star? And the character is called Byron Orlok. Now is that a great name or what? :D Great performances as well, especially by Boris Karloff, Tim O'Kelly, Peter Bogdanovich and Nancy Hsueh. Well, the main characters. Two story threads "old horror actor wanting to retire" and "young guy starting to shoot people like someone who's playing GTAV" that start off distant from each other but get entangled towards the end. Great screenplay by Bogdanovich himself (who also directed this movie). Definitely very fitting for Karloff's last straight dramatic role (and one of his last ones in general, since he passed away a year later) to be this semi-autobiographical. The movie is also very entertaining. So you can watch this for old Boris Karloff, young Bogdanovich or just the very interesting story. But watch it.

3 years ago

Ghost World (2001)

American coming-of-age film. Really interesting slice-of-life story. Good cast (Thora Birch, Steve Buscemi, Scarlett Johansson), delivering good performances. Pretty good movie overall.

3 years ago

Archive (2020)

British science fiction film. Interesting story about a guy who lost his wife in a car accident and now tries to build the perfect AI with her conscience. Oh yeah, and it's 2038. Pretty good effects, good performances, nice story with twists and turns. Especially that last one. WHAT? Not a great sci-fi movie, but not bad either. Maybe this would make a very good double feature with Ex Machina. Don't get your expectations too high (again, it's not great, but still good) and you'll enjoy this one.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Seven Days in May (1964)

American political thriller film. United States military leaders plot to overthrow the President because he supports a nuclear disarmament treaty and they fear a Soviet sneak attack. Very good story, very strong performances by a great cast (Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, Fredric March, Ava Gardner).

3 years ago

The Trial (1962)

French-Italian-German drama film. An unassuming office worker is arrested and stands trial, but he is never made aware of his charges. Great directing by Orson Welles, great cast (Anthony Perkins, Orson Welles, Romy Schneider, Jeanne Moreau and more) delivering really good performances. Especially Anthony Perkins' performance was fantastic. It might even be better than his performance in Psycho. I think I'll have to sleep on that for a few nights. Very good story, based on Franz Kafka's novel of the same name. That pinscreen animation at the beginning was also great and would even be so on its own. Overall it's a fantastic movie. And so captivating! Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Playtime (1967)

French-Italian comedy film. Fantastic cinematography, outstanding set design. So incredibly stylish. This movie looked futuristic in 1967 and still looks futuristic in 2020. Lots of visual gags and sound effects.
This one is a true masterpiece! Has to be one of my favourite french movies of all time. Just such a delightful comedy.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.