Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Begotten (1989)

American experimental horror film. It's pure art. It doesn't have any dialogue, is in black and white, features an ambient soundtrack and graphic imagery. It begins with God disemboweling himself with a straight razor and consequently birthing Mother Earth. The whole movie is a lot about death and rebirth. It's good for what it is, but it's definitely not for anyone. I'd even say it's definitely not for most people. And it'll stick with you for the rest of your life, wether you like it or not.

3 years ago

Martyrs (2008) a few weeks ago.
I can't watch movies that often anymore :/

3 years ago

Din of Celestial Birds (2006)

Short-film sequel of Begotten (1989). But not as violent. Way more visual, though. Definitely watch this after watching Begotten!

3 years ago

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Also rewatched this one yesterday. Still pretty good. Fantastic soundtrack.

3 years ago

I tried watching Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) but gave up 2/3s into the movie.

3 years ago

Dear White People (2014)

American comedy-drama film, which was later adapted into a Netflix series by the same name. Very interesting characters portrayed by a very good cast. Written as a satire to tell the overlooked truth about how racism towards the black community is still very prevalent in American culture. An eye-opener that definitely makes you think. I'll have to check out the series too, some day.

3 years ago

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)

American drama film. Fantastic performances. By the child actors as well as the rest of the cast. It's both a coming of age story about the children as well as a hard-hitting drama. I could say so much about this movie, but most people probably already watched it. Without a doubt one of the greatest and most important films of all time and an absolute must-watch!

3 years ago

Useless humans (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7127184/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0), a fairlly decent horror comedy.

3 years ago

Uncorked (2020)

American drama film. It's about a guy who wants to become a sommelier and because I really enjoy a good wine now and then (and I got vintners in my family) I decided to watch this. Good, emotional story. Sometimes funny, sometimes sad. Likeable characters. Good performances. Very entertaining movie. Next time I watch it I'll make sure to drink some wine while watching.

3 years ago

The Others (2001) (Alejandro Amenabar) and The Perfection (2019).

3 years ago

The Name of the Rose (1986)

Italian-German-French mystery and historical drama. It's pretty good. The first half is a bit slower than the second, though. Interesting story. Good performances by a great cast. Especially Ron Perlman delivers a fantastic performance in more languages than I knew he could speak.

This starts off my week in honor of the passing of Sean Connery. I'm not only gonna watch movies with him in it, but at least one of them every day. No 007, though. I'll watch all of those at another time.

3 years ago

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

Anglo-American independently made adventure mythological fantasy film. Have been meaning to watch this for a long time and since it's now on Netflix Germany I decided to just go ahead and watch it. I've always loved Ray Harryhausen's work ever since I watched The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) as a child (and then I also had nightmares of stop-motion creatures. You know what I mean. Those jerky movements for example.) Young CurryKingWurst definitely would've been frightened by those skeletons (which appear surprisingly late in the movie.) But yeah, Harryhausen was just a legend. Outstanding effects! Very interesting story. Great cinematography. The ending comes pretty abruptly, but that was because they planned to make a sequel (which sadly never happened). Apart from that it's a fantastic movie! If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch it. I just watched it and I already love it.

3 years ago

The Thing (1982)

I have watched only couple mediocre movies I can't even remember in these last couple years, so after watching The Thing I was shocked at my own mental state. I felt as if I ate nice, filling, but not everly filling meal. Only felt in the brain instead of stomach. I don't know how, but The Thing is very much balanced in what it gives to the viewer. The movie is also quite long, so where your usual horror would start spiral of death, The Thing instead gave me half an hour more to get to know the characters, and let the tension rise by itself (and my expectations). Overall, if somebody argued it's not a perfect movie, I'd say it's still excellent. Enough so, that I could subconciously feel magnificent craftsmanship of the filmmakers.

If anything it kinda proves my dad's point that movies made nowadays are quite weak compared to those made long ago. I used to dismiss that as his nostalgia, but now I think I changed my mind. If 1982 movie is amazing to somebody in 2020, then either overall movie quality dropped, or I just was exposed to weak movies from 2000s like Gladiator, or Shrek. Or maybe it's just a good movie.

3 years ago

Yes, The Thing (1982) is an excellent movie! Part of that are the outstanding practical effects that still hold up almost 40 years later. Compare those to CGI from even just 10 years ago. That stuff already looks dated, because the technology progresses so fast. But those practical effects looked absolutely real back then and that won't change.

3 years ago

The Wind and the Lion (1975)

American epic adventure war film. Good performances from some very big names but sadly the story wasn't very good. Not much happened. Brian Keith as Teddy Roosevelt was probably the best thing about this movie. I believe, as great of an actor Sean Connery was, that he was miscast in this.

3 years ago*

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

3 years ago

Back to School (1986)

American comedy film. Very funny Rodney Dangerfield comedy. Great cast (Dangerfield himself, M. Emmet Walsh, Ned Beatty, Robert Picardo, Robert Downey Jr. and maybe one of the best movie cameos of all time by Kurt Vonnegut!!!). Lots of hilarious gags and great one-liners.

3 years ago

The Hunt for Red October (1990)

American submarine spy-thriller film. Great cast. Very captivating story. It's never boring. Great performances as well, althought I was sceptical at first. You know, with people like Sean Connery, Sam Neill and Tim Curry playing soviets. But they pulled off the illusion in a good way. Speaking russian at the beginning and then switching to english as to say that they are speaking russian the whole time but we, the audience, understand them, so it sounds like english to us. And after they met the americans they do speak russian again until the characters themselves state that they speak the other party's language. That's a very good solution for that problem. And again, the story is just so good! Highly recommended if you haven't already watched it!

3 years ago

The Wailing (2016)

Korean horror film. There are zombies, demonic possession, occultism in this movie, it's part supernatural, part psychological thriller, part family drama, part mystery. And the atmosphere. Always creepy. Always keeps it on the edge of your seat. Full of tension! Great performances, especially by the young daughter when she is possessed. Cool effects. Very interesting characters. Fantastic ending! Definitely a really good movie.
If you liked movies along the lines of The Witch, Hagazussa or Hereditary, maybe even Mother, this one might also be something you'll enjoy. Similar absorbing atmospheres.

3 years ago

The Thing (2011)

Prequel to The Thing (1982). It tells a story, that target viewer already knows the end of form the original movie. While it didn't bother me while watching, I noticed that trying to match the outcome of events as seen in the 1982 version, originality and creativity of moviemakers were shackled and imprisoned somewhere deep under the arctic ice. Unfortunately, they weren't secured proprely, so the movie ends up directly contradicting video evidence found in orignal movie, which is genuinly surprising, because first 80% of the movie tries to leave things exactly the way they are supposed to be found in the original one. All this effort wasted with one decision.

Instead of psychological uncertainty and "eww, disgusting" type monster, this time The Thing is more action oriented movie where monster is not scary because it's alien and infectious, but because it's stronger. Subtle difference, but a difference nonetheless, which matters to me at the very least, as I would like more of the same instead of something different with this movie. Shorter than original, more action packed, faster with every plot point happenning. I was also pleasantly surprised that female protagonist was portrayed as humane, and not superhuman. Scared by the situation, but resaonable and courageous. Somewhoat resembling Ripley from Alien in that regard, and I liked that.

If watched without comparing to the original, it felt like a solid movie. I was concerned about characters well being, felt threatened when they were, etc, stakes were high, individual characters mostly well portrayed. Once again, solid. Good. Unfortunately, it wanted to be a prequel, and to limit itself in creativity and possibilites, and in the end didn't even manage to be 100% accurate prequel, which drops my evaluation. Still, it's an interesting take on happennings of Norwegian base in Antarctica. I'd say I can recommend it.

3 years ago

The Rock (1996)

American action thriller film. Finally, a movie where Sean Connery actually plays a scottish character. I'm not a huge fan of action movies in general, but this one was surprisingly good. Great cast (Sean Connery, Nicolas Cage, Ed Harris, Tony Todd and more), delivering very good and realistic (for a Michael Bay movie) performances. Cool effects. Again, this is a Michael Bay movie so there are some unnecessary explosions here and there, but it's ok. Very good soundtrack. Overall a pretty entertaining movie.

3 years ago*

The First Great Train Robbery (1978)

British heist neo-noir crime film. Very good story, great cast (Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland among others). Based on a book and directed by Michael Crichton, who you might know as the guy who wrote Jurassic Park. Very interesting characters, good performances, nice costume and set design. Some jokes here and there. Entertaining movie.

3 years ago

The Hill (1965)

British-American war drama film. Breathtaking performances by a great cast and a great story about military prison, but it's so much more than that. It's about the military mindset, the lust for power, racism, the duality of heroism and cowardice, the dangers of unquestioning loyalty and even more. Directed by Sidney Lumet. Just such an underappreciated movie. If you have watched it you know it's a brilliant movie! I still got some more of Sean Connery's movies planned for the weekend, but right now, this has to be my favourite. So powerful! If you only watch one Sean Connery movie this week, let it be this one. It deserves to be seen a lot more than it has been! HIGHLY recommended!

3 years ago

The Square (2017)

Satirical film. Swedish production with co-production support from France, Germany and Denmark. By the director of Force Majeure (2014), which is also a good movie. Pretty good character study of our main character, a museum director who struggles with various personal issues, including the theft of his phone and affair with a journalist (played by Elisabeth Moss). And if that wasn't enough, "a controversial promotional video for an art installation is published without his oversight, threatening his career and sparking a debate about freedom of expression and political correctness." Interesting story, good performances. Especially the guy who performs as an ape, played by Terry Notary, who was the movement coach on the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. That was... very interesting to look at. Nothing I would've liked to see in person, but as an artists performance in this movie it was really something else. If I didn't make it clear enough, Terry Notary played a guy who performed an ape in this movie. And I couldn't look away, somehow. And this was just a ~10 minute long sequence that had almost nothing to do with the rest of the plot. All in all pretty good, but probably not for everyone.

3 years ago

The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

British adventure film. Great cast (Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Christopher Plummer) and a very interesting story. Beautiful cinematography, set and costume design. And one of the side characters is played by some guy named Karroom Ben Bouih, who was born in 1871. Yes, you read that right. He was 103 when he appeared in this movie. Definitely an entertaining movie, but not Sean Connery's best in my opinion.

3 years ago

Grandmother Despina (1905)

Macedonian short silent, black and white documentary film. It's very short at just 15 seconds, but it shows the filmmakers' (Yanaki and Milton Manaki, two brothers, balkan film pioneers) grandmother, who allegedly was 114 when they filmed her, which would mean that she was born in 1791 and thus probably being the only person born in the 1700s to appear in a movie. In itself it's not a very good movie for the time (looks like something others have been making 10 years before), but it's still an interesting little footnote in cinematic history.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.