Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Terrifier 2; kinda adorable, kinda horrible. 8/10
Really want a t-shirt of Art posing in front of a rainbow.

1 year ago

I finally watched "No Time to Die" last weekend. I really enjoyed it! I'd probably give it a 7-8/10.

1 year ago

I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

American pre-Code crime-drama film. It's about World War veteran (considering when this movie came out I don't need to say which World War) James Allen coming home after the war having served with distinction, earning a medal from Allied governments for his bravery, but his experiences in the war have changed him. He doesn't want to return to his old office job but rather enter the construction industry and improve society as an engineer. It's hard for him to find a job, so he slowly sinks into poverty. One day he visits a diner with an acquaintance, who forces him at gunpoint to participate in a robbery. The police arrive, shoot and kill his friend, Allen panics and tries to flee but is caught immediately. He's sent to prison and is forced to work on a chain gang. If you read the title again you might get a bit more of the story but that's not the end. Based on an autobiography of a guy who was exposing the cruelty and injustice of the chain gang system. Great performance by the amazing Paul Muni (who in the same year made another great movie called Scarface (1932)) and the rest of the cast, too. Overall a great movie. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Nanook of the North (1922)

American silent film. It combines elements of documentary and docudrama, at a time when the concept of separating films into documentary and drama did not yet exist. I don't really know what to think about it. Great cinematography and you see some fascinating stuff... but it's all staged. Overall I can't really recommend it.

1 year ago

Shark Bait. It's just like every other shark movies, seen worse but it's definitely not a great movie.

1 year ago

Dogborn-6/10

Sick of Myself-8/10

The Tale of King Crab-7/10

1 year ago

Smile (2022). It's a decent horror film, It takes ideas from other films but It actually gets into your skin.

1 year ago

Falling Leaves (1912)

American silent short drama film. It's a story about a young girl's efforts to keep her dying sister alive by naive means. It's autumn. Little Trixie overhears the family doctor say that Winifred, her older sister, will die of consumption (now more known as tuberculosis) by the time the last leaves fall. So what does she do? She tries her best to keep the leaves from falling and starts tying fallen leaves back on branches with string. Beautiful little short film by the legendary film pioneer Alice Guy-Blaché, I can definitely recommend this!

1 year ago

Burnley v Manchester United (1902)

British silent documentary short film. Not gonna spoil who won the game, even though it happened 120 years ago, so you'll have to watch this for yourselves if you want to know. It's quite a fascinating watch, though. It's from the first season Manchester United played as Manchester United, they were renamed Newton Heath to Manchester United earlier that year. Overall I can recommend this, especially if you're a football fan.

1 year ago

Enola Holmes 2 was pretty entertaining, but I liked the first one better.

1 year ago

Le prince de Galles (1892)

French silent documentary short film. It's a mini-biography about Edward VII, who was Prince of Wales at that time but who of course went on to become King after his mother Queen Victoria died in 1901. But at this point we don't know that. It's 1892, the guy is Prince of Wales and this is a minute of footage of stuff where you can't even really recognize him. Sure, it might be historically significant, but still. Can't recommend.
And that concludes this year's "Every 10 years apart movie thingy" (still have to come up with a better title, I know). Some amazing movies again.

1 year ago*

Dual (2022)

American satirical science fiction thriller film. A very dry and slow movie about a woman (Karen Gillan) who is told she has a terminal illness so she gets herself cloned. She has to teach the clone how to be her, but then she gets the news that she's in remission. Now what's gonna happen with the clone? It's definitely not a movie for everyone, but if you're already familiar with director Riley Stearns' work (Faults (2014), The Art of Self-Defense (2019)) you might already expect this movie to be weird and not something the general public would really enjoy, but then again it doesn't have to. Personally, I can recommend this.

1 year ago

Duncan Smoking (1891)

American short silent film. It's three frames of a guy with a pipe in his mouth, what do you expect? France has been doing a lot better back then. Je vous aime (1891) is way better than this. So no, I can't recommend this one.

1 year ago*

A Railway Collision (1900)

British short silent drama film. We can see a single-track railway in mountainous terrain leading into a tunnel. A train drives toward the tunnel, passing a signal. Shortly afterwards it reverses and you're there, questioning why it does that. Then suddenly, another train comes out of the tunnel, at a higher speed than the other one can reverse. The inevitable happens. They collide! You could actually call this an early action movie. Of course you see that those trains are obviously just model trains but nevertheless it's an interesting short film. And for 1900 it's actually very good. Not too much later (in the grand scheme of things) people crashed real trains for movies, they must've been inspired by something like this. Can recommend!

1 year ago

The Airship Destroyer (1909)

British silent science fiction film. A fleet of airships start dropping bombs over England, destroying an armoured vehicle, a signal box and a town. An inventor is preparing to launch a missile in defense, someone else tries to shoot down an airship with their biplane. Great special effects for the time. It feels ahead of its time, but then you think about it and airships had been around for half a century at that point, missiles in some shape or form for even longer, planes were actually the most recent thing with the famous Wright Flyer biplane becoming the first successful powered aeroplane only 6 years before this movie was made. But yeah, as you can see, everything was already "a thing" back then. Still feels ahead of its time, though, and it was actually re-released in 1915 when Britain was suffering aerial bombings from Zeppelins during World War I. For its time this is an amazing science fiction movie. Can recommend!

1 year ago

The Music Man (1962)

American musical film. It's about a traveling con artist who's trying to con people out of their money by pretending he's a band leader and he needs the money to buy instruments and uniforms for every young boy in town. And then he falls in love with the librarian. The musical numbers are so-so. Some are not very good (like the very first one that was more like slam poetry) but others are. Especially one. Shipoopi, the number most people here (including me) might know from Family Guy, is actually from this movie. Including the coreography. Overall probably not a very memorable story but a good enough way to spend 2.5 hours.

1 year ago

Cast Away (2000)

American survival drama film. For being almost 2.5 hours long this felt surprisingly short. Great performance by Tom Hanks. Yes, I might've been a bit late with watching this but now I have and I think it's a great movie. Definitely one I can recommend if you haven't seen it already. But you probably have.

1 year ago

Hardware (1990)

British science fiction horror film. It's set in a post-apocalyptic future where a self-repairing robot goes on a rampage. Not really any amazing acting but Dylan McDermott is playing one of the main characters and Lemmy Kilmister and Iggy Pop have cameos. Overall I do like the concept and the character design of the robot as well, but the movie's really nothing special. Can't recommend.

1 year ago

Black Adam - 6/10

1 year ago

Mikey and Nicky (1976)

American crime drama film. First of all, it's very slice-of-life. "When Nicky (John Cassavetes) calls Mikey (Peter Falk) yet again to bail him out of trouble—this time a contract on his life for money he stole from his mob boss—Mikey, as always, shows up to help. Overcoming the obstacles of Nicky's paranoia and blind fear, Mikey gets him out of the hotel where he has holed up, and starts to help him plan his escape, but Nicky keeps changing the plan, and a hitman (Ned Beatty) is hot on their trail. As they try to make their escape, the two friends have to confront issues of betrayal, regret, and the value of friendship versus self-preservation."
This is the Criterion Collection Director's Cut which was released in 2019, so I don't know how it compares to previous cuts. But overall I can't really recommend this one. Maybe I would need a rewatch to understand it better.

1 year ago

Nur eine Frau - 8/10

1 year ago

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

American drama film. Great performances by pretty much everyone involved. Paul Newman, Elizabeth Taylor and Burl Ives, Madeleine Sherwood, Jack Carson, Judith Anderson and more. It's kind of a family drama. The story is simple but the acting is all around brilliant. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

The Man from Earth (2007)

American drama science fiction film. Rewatched this yesterday and I still love that movie. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Things to Come (1936)

British science fiction film. It feels similar to Metropolis (1927), but not as good. Don't get me wrong, this one's still very good. Metropolis (1927) is just a masterpiece. But less about Metropolis (1927) and more about this one. It starts off on Christmas Day in 1940. People are anxious that a war might come. And it does. Now we're in the 1960s, the war is still going on but people have forgotten what they're even fighting for. In 1966 a plague kills half of humanity. Now we're in 1970, there's a warlord who has become the chieftain of what is left of the city this movie is set in, aptly called Everytown (because this can happen everywhere). Now we're in 2036, people are getting sick of so much progress that they want to do something against it. Overall very fascinating and definitely something I can recommend!

1 year ago

Marjorie Prime (2017)

American science-fiction film. It's one of those slow-burners that probably could also work as an early episode of Black Mirror. It's about Marjorie (played by Lois Smith) who's experiencing the first symptoms of Alzheimer's, so her daughter Tess (Geena Davis) and her son-in-law Jon (Tim Robbins) hire a service called Prime, designed to assist Alzheimer patients by creating holographic projections of deceased family members which are "fed" with the patients' memories so that they can "retell" them back in case they forget them. Marjorie has chosen a younger version of her late husband Walter (Jon Hamm) which upsets Tess because she doesn't trust the system. Later on other things happend but those would be spoilers so I'll stop here now. Great cast delivering really good performances, especially Lois Smith. Overall maybe not for everyone but I can recommend it. Could've been a bit shorter maybe.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.