Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Hotel Transylvania 4 (The transforming one) - 4/10
This movie makes me sad in my facemeats. I loved the first two, three was okay. This one just lacked in... something.
The animation was still on point but ehhhhhh. Somehow mostly stopped being charming? Perhaps because the larger cast felt pushed back even further? idk.

"Nope" - 7/10
I'm a horror snob, and this movie didn't really do it for me, but Peele brings in cool new ideas and is always a breath of fresh air.
Still glad I watched it for the variety, but a bit disappointed that it had a whole bunch of cool elements that feel like it should have somehow been better than it was? More horror movies need to take risks for originality like this though.

1 year ago

Pearl - 10/10

1 year ago

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - 7/10

1 year ago

The Black Phone (2021)

American coming-of-age supernatural horror film. Very entertaining. Ethan Hawke's Grabber character is really interesting (but they could've used him a bit more I feel like), the kid actors deliver great performances. Overall definitely a good movie but it could've been better. Still, can recommend!

1 year ago*

Lincoln (2012)

American biographical historical drama film. Great movie! Sure, it's 150 minutes long but it's paced so well at the end you feel like it could still be longer. It tells a lot of story. Great cast (Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Hal Holbrook, James Spader, David Strathairn, Lee Pace, Jared Harris, Tim Blake Nelson, Jackie Earle Haley, Bruce McGill, Jeremy Strong, Michael Stuhlbarg, Stephen Henderson, Walton Goggins, John Hawkes, Adam Driver, Colman Domingo, David Oyelowo and more) delivering amazing performances, especially Day-Lewis as Lincoln himself. Overall a movie I can highly recommend!

1 year ago

Pearl (A24) - A great horror movie - prequel to X.

1 year ago

Relatos salvajes - 7/10

1 year ago

Seems like the game Erica counts as a movie. It was just okay, both as a movie and as a game.

1 year ago

Terrifier 2
Slashers never die.
if you like the genre this is very familiar ground but with good production value and extremely graphic scenes. if you don't, well...a film that follows the genre tropes won't do much for you.it's not trying to reinvent the wheel. Pretty good pratical effects, characters and acting. But Art the clown really stands above as one of the most memorable slasher villains
7.5/10
Barbarian
I feel this film is the way it is simply to be called, unconventional, subversive, Hyperlink.
5/10
Deathsport
Put on mute. some of the worst sound effects i've heard. Its a Roger Corman film, pretty sure its various ideas, footage, and props being reused.
Almost entertaining had it not been for the bike noises. supposedly the film had good music, but someone decided to run it through a synthesizer.
4/10
Bullet train
Apparently at this point in time Guy Ritchie is the poor mans version of himself. Becuase everyone can easily copy his style
well, it's fun vapid popcorn movie to watch once and forget about it. It's a very simple film and you gain nothing from a second watch.
its ok, unless you tell me, "see, a streamliner is...and that's why the streamlined plot reflects..." i wont be praising this time waster.
btw that's not how bullet trains work
5.5/10

1 year ago

Crimes of the Future (2022)

Canadian-french-british-greek science fiction body horror drama film. Some parts are similar to eXistenZ (1999), especially the design of the surgical tools. Others remind me a lot of Dead Ringers (1988), because of the more surgical aspects. Above all, it's a pretty fucked up movie so if you've never delved into body horror, don't watch this. If you're already a fan of weird and fucked up movies, this is very much so. Not one of Cronenberg's best but definitely an experience. I mean it's great to see the master go back to his roots but a bit more of a coherent story would've been better imho. Still thought this was very good for what it was. Can recommend, but definitely not for everyone. But if you enjoyed the two movies I mentioned at the beginning of this review you should watch this movie.

1 year ago*

Argo (2012)

American historical drama thriller film. Based on fascinating real life events, this movie was very successfull when it came out 10 years ago. Even though it's not that accurate (the movie was way too focused on the Americans, while IRL Canada is to thank for almost everything) it was still very good, had a great cast (Ben Affleck, Alan Arkin, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston and more) and was entertaining. I can recommend it, but if you watch it, you need to remind yourself that most of what you see was actually done by Canadians.

1 year ago

The Pianist (2002)

French-german-polish-british biographical war drama film. It's about a Jewish pianist in Warsaw and the story spans from September 1939 (aka when the Invasion of Poland began) till after the war. Based on real events. A masterful performance by Adrien Brody. I'm not gonna go on and on about this movie here, since most people should've already seen it, but yeah, overall it's a great movie. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Malcolm X (1992)

American epic biographical drama film. Yes, at 3 hours and 21 minutes this is definitely a long movie but it tells so much story that it kinda has to be. It's paced very well, if you pay attention to the movie you won't feel bored. There are no real filler scenes, everything you see serves a purpose. Then we have an outstanding performance by Denzel Washington and the rest of the amazing cast (Spike Lee, Angela Bassett, Delroy Lindo, Giancarlo Esposito, Ossie Davis and more). Overall a great movie, which you really should watch if you haven't already. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

I need to watch this again, I remember loving it though.

1 year ago

Diner (1982)

American comedy-drama film. Good movie about a group of friends played by a bunch of talented up-and-coming actors (Kevin Bacon, Mickey Rourke, Steve Guttenberg, Paul Reiser, Daniel Stern and more). It's very slice-of-life. I've read that this is similar to American Graffiti (1973) but since I haven't seen that one yet I can't deny nor confirm that. Overall recommended.

1 year ago

Solaris (1972)

Soviet science fiction drama film. This was only my second Tarkovsky after Stalker (1979) (yes, I know. Shame on me.) and while I think I might need to watch it a second time at some point to really get everything I already know that this is a masterpiece. Also makes me want to read the Stanisław Lem novel it's based on, which I think I actually have here somewhere. Between the two Tarkovsky movies I've seen now I can say that the guy was a genius. So yeah, I'll definitely have to watch this again but until then I can recommend it.

1 year ago

The book is quite different,it's dry intellectual sci-fi unlike the emotional spirituality of the film. The american 'remake' has some artistic merit too,shockingly enough.

1 year ago

I read that Lem complained about the movie, saying he didn't write about people's "erotic problems in space".

1 year ago

My SF/Fantasy book club read the novel a few months ago and generally agreed it was a fantastic novel of ideas but not the most engaging work of literature.
I watched the American remake of the film when it came out but recall very little because it was about 20 years ago.
A couple of friends admitted to strongly disliking both filmed versions, even though we loved Stalker.

1 year ago

Call me by your name (2017)

A romance between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera. It’s the summer of 1983 in northern Italy, and Elio Perlman (Timothée Chalamet), a 17-year-old American-Italian boy, spends his days in his family's seventeenth century villa lazily transcribing music and flirting with his friend Marzia. One day Oliver (Armie Hammer), a charming, 24-year-old American scholar working on his doctorate, arrives as the annual summer intern tasked with helping Elio's father (Michael Stuhlbarg), an eminent professor specializing in Greco-Roman culture. Amid the sun-drenched splendor of this sensual setting, Elio and Oliver discover the heady beauty of awakening desire over the course of a summer that will change their lives forever.

Watched yesterday evening on Netflix. I can't think I missed this movie until now. A oscar winner one, it was very good. Especially if you somehow find yourself in the protagonist's shoes. BTW I'm even italian, so I appreciate it even more (:D).

1 year ago*

Black Panther 2:Wakanda Forever (2022)
Admittedly I don't follow a lot of MCU stuff; I mostly go to the movies because friends want to and it's not the worst way to spend an evening. I do think that the original Black Panther was one of (if not the) best films in the franchise, and a solid SF picture in general. The sequel, obviously, had a lot on its shoulders with the tragic los of the brilliant young talent who was Chadwick Boseman. I think the film did right by him, and it delved deeply into some wonderful real-world mythology as well. Plus, the fact that 90% of the cast were POC was a lovely breath of fresh air.

Dr.Sleep (2019)
Entertaining and well-written "spiritual successor/sequel" to The Shining.

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story (2022)
As good as I'd hoped ,as a long-time fan of Weird Al and Dr.Demento! I still remember attending SF cons when I was much younger and being entertained by his dj sets on the dance floor. Daniel Radcliffe keeps on proving that he's not simply Harry Potter but an excellent actor who transcended that role awhile ago. The film's a brilliant satire on biopics in general, not just music ones.

1 year ago

The Revenant - 10/10

1 year ago

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) - 10/10

1 year ago

Where the Crawdads Sing - 7/10

1 year ago

Harakiri (1962)

Japanese jidaigeki film. It's about rōnin (a samurai without a master) Tsugumo Hanshirō who seeks admittance to the house of a feudal lord to commit seppuku/hara-kiri. The lord wants to deter him and starts telling him the story of another rōnin from the same clan as Hanshirō called Chijiiwa Motome. Despite the warnings starts Hanshirō is sincere in wanting to commit seppuku, so the lord goes ahead. The ceremony begins but is delayed for a few reasons so Hanshirō starts telling us his tragic story. And this is where I'll stop as to not spoil anything. Honestly, this is a masterpiece. It's commonly regarded as one of the best samurai pictures ever made and I can understand why. And it's starring the great Tatsuya Nakadai, who's actually about to turn 90 in less than a month. Overall it truly is a masterpiece. "Highly recommended" almost isn't cutting it here. Watch this movie!

1 year ago

Amsterdam - 5/10

1 year ago

Smile - > surprisingly decent given the premise of the movie. 7/10

1 year ago

Umberto D. (1952)

Italian neorealist film. Italian neorealism is about life, pretty much. Not much story, but still fascinating. This movie is about a man and his dog. That's all I'm gonna say. Amazingly, many in the cast, including Carlo Battisti, who plays the leading role are non-actors. Battisti, for example, was a Professor of Linguistics. Nonetheless his performance was quite outstanding. I don't think I've ever seen a better acting performance by a non-actor. At least none comes to mind right now. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Casablanca (1942)

American romantic drama film. Starts off pretty normal but the further the story goes along the better it gets. It has a fantastic cast with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Peter Lorre, Claude Rains, Conrad Veidt (who I've seen in more silent films than talkies so far so hearing his voice is always neat) and many more. It's a great movie, there's a reason it's still very much beloved. Highly recommended!

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.